Overview - Leafnode's Major Programs
For regular use
- Leafnode is the NNTP server. It talks to the
local newsreaders (Emacs/Gnus, Mozilla Thunderbird, tin, slrn
and others), and keeps track of the groups that are
Leafnode is usually run by a super server such as xinetd, tcpsvd or inetd.
- Fetchnews is the program that gets news from
upstream servers and sends your posted articles there. It will
download articles for those groups that Leafnode was
Fetchnews supports filtering incoming article headers for regular expressions, size and age.
Fetchnews is usually run as a cron job or from a post-connect script (/etc/ppp/ip-up).
- Texpire is responsible for deleting old articles and repairing the news spool. It usually runs as a cron job.
For occasional use
- Applyfilter applies the contents of your filterfile to articles that you have already retrieved.
- Checkgroups inserts the titles of newsgroups into the newsgroup database.
- Newsq shows which news are waiting to be transferred to your upstream server.